Saturday, September 22, 2012

Morris Memorial Hall, Kelmscott, Oxfordshire

Commissioned by May Morris and originally designed by Ernest Gimson but not built until after his death. His original designs were changed somewhat by Norman Jewson and the Hall was completed in 1933. When the Hall was officially opened by George Bernard Shaw in October 1934, the Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald turned up unannounced. The village was so crowded he was unable to get straight to the Hall and missed Shaw's speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.